Backwards enough that they still believe in wage and price controls — on their slave market!
The market to sell women and spoils of war has been experiencing a significant decrease, which has adversely affected ISIS revenue and financing of the Mujahideen.
Their solution is to implement price controls, which I must say would be a nice backdoor way of destroying the trade entirely. The document goes on to list the allowable prices for various sorts of slaves.
- A (Yazidi or Christian) woman, aged 40 to 50 years, is for 50,000 dinars.
- The rate of a (Yazidi or Christian) woman, aged 30 to 40 years, is 75,000 dinars.
- The rate for a (Yazidi or Christian) woman, aged 20 to 30 years, is 100,000 dinars.
- A (Yazidi or Christian) girl, aged 10 to 20 years, is for 150,000 dinars.
- A (Yazidi or Christian) child’s price, aged 1 to 9 years, is 200,000 dinars.
A dinar is a little less than a tenth of a cent so the prices range from $42.17 to $168.69
I have never given the economics of slave trading any thought and I don’t intend to delve into it deeply now since it disgusts me. But I urge you to read the comments at the link. It is fascinating how little the people there understand about economics, their own religion etc… You will see several of the crazy conspiracy theories that the ME is famous for. And having gotten the flavor of it all I can say is that it is not hard to see how a completely crazy movement like ISIS could get a foothold there.
We just have to hope that in this case the western form of craziness which is Marxism and a command and control economy can work against ISIS and their command from the heavens movement. That is certainly a match made in hell if I have ever seen one.
BTW, this comes from an Iraqi news source so take it with a grain of salt. Consider it like you would Salon here.